TOP SKIN TREATMENTS TO SOOTHE SUMMER SUN DAMAGE NOW THAT IT’S FALL 2
Summer’s practically gone, but what about that fresh sun damage? It’s going to stick around long after the season changes. If you spent too much time lounging by the pool this summer, with not enough sunscreen, come see Dr. Beale to soothe your skin and repair your appearance.
Call our Dallas, TX plastic surgery office at 972-566-3001 to explore treatment options for sun-damaged skin with our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Evan Beale.
DO I HAVE SUN DAMAGE?
Got wrinkles? You may think that wrinkles are an inevitable sign of getting older, but for most people, they are actually a sign of sun damage. UV light is responsible for nearly 90% of visible aging. Wrinkles are a part of getting older, but they appear because of the sun you’ve been exposed to over the years, not because of your age.
If you have these common signs of aging, you’ve got sun damage:
- Age spots
- Dull, rough skin
- Uneven skin tone
That golden tan you got this summer is also a sign of too much sun.
COSMETIC TREATMENTS TO IMPROVE SUN DAMAGED SKIN
You’ve got sun damage; what should you do about it? The first step is to come in and see Dr. Beale. As one of the top plastic surgeons in Dallas, TX, Dr. Beale is uniquely qualified to help you explore treatment options to repair the damage to your skin.
- Removes the outermost layers of the skin.
- Improves the skin’s tone, texture, and coloration.
- Softens the appearance of wrinkles.
- May offer skin tightening benefits, depending on the type of resurfacing performed.
- Can be customized to your skin concerns and goals.
Our resurfacing treatments aren’t one-size-fits-all. We offer several different options for skin resurfacing including chemical peels, laser resurfacing, and dermabrasion. We’d love to talk options and help you find your perfect fit.
- Chemical Peels- A chemical peel uses an acidic solution to remove skin and initiate damage repair. Peels come in different strengths and are created using different active ingredients. Some of our favorite peels include TCA, phenol, and retinol. Although you’ll find light peels at your local drugstore, you’ll get the best results from a deeper peel performed by a trained plastic surgeon.
- Laser Resurfacing- CO2 and erbium lasers use intense light to remove damaged skin. Our laser resurfacing treatments create dramatic results, usually with a single treatment. They are highly effective at treating sun damage and pigmentation problems.
- Dermabrasion- Dermabrasion is a type of deep exfoliation. A special rotating device is used to essentially sand away the outer layers of the skin. This treatment dramatically improves skin texture.
Our resurfacing treatments are typically performed in an operating room under anesthesia. Some treatments can be performed in one of our treatment rooms using a local anesthetic.
What’s recovery like? For a deeper peel, plan on 5-7 days of downtime while your skin regenerates. During this time, it may peel and will feel raw and tender. We provide patients with an antibiotic numbing cream to aid in the healing process.
After the skin heals, it will be noticeably smoother and brighter. If the skin had a time machine, it would probably be named skin resurfacing.
PREVENTING FUTURE SUN DAMAGE
You can’t change the past, but you control the future. Well, the future of your sun habits at least. If you have sun damage, make some changes to protect your skin from future damage.
- Use Sunscreen- If most aging is caused sun damage, why aren’t you wearing daily sunscreen? Make it a daily habit and put sunscreen on every morning, rain or shine. If you need a recommendation, this broad-spectrum Total Defense + Repair Sunscreen from SkinMedica is an excellent pick for many of our patients.
- Be Sun Smart- In beautiful Dallas, TX, we enjoy a lot of sunny days. You don’t have to hide in a cave to protect your skin. Find the shade when you’re outside. Wear a wide-brimmed hat. Schedule your outdoor fun for the morning and evening hours when the UV rays aren’t as strong.
Repair your skin after summer with Dr. Beale. Contact us to schedule your appointment.