Are you worried about recovery after liposuction? Many of our patients feel a bit nervous about the recovery period after liposuction. Will it be painful? What’s it like? Recovery won’t be the most pleasant experience you’ve ever had, but most patients find it isn’t that bad, especially when considering the stunning results you’ll achieve shortly after. These tips will help you prepare for recovery after liposuction.
Liposuction Recovery Tips
1. Get the Facts- It is easier to recover properly when you know what to expect. Recovery times and expectations vary depending on the areas treated and the extent of the liposuction performed. Ask us what to expect from your recovery so you can take the right amount of time off from work and get the help you need.
2. Prepare- A little preparation goes a long way toward making recovery an enjoyable experience. Take some time to get ready. Change your sheets, do the laundry, stock the fridge, and take care of personal matters so you can focus on healing those first few days.
3. Fill Your Prescriptions Before Surgery- After surgery you’ll want to get home and rest as soon as possible. Fill your prescriptions before surgery if you can so you don’t have worry about it on surgery day.
4. Follow Recovery Instructions Carefully- We’ll provide you with detailed instructions for your recovery. Follow these closely. Dr. Beale has performed many successful liposuction surgeries and knows how to help your recovery progress as smoothly as possible.
5. Expect Some Swelling- Many liposuction patients worry that their results aren’t what they were expecting due to swelling. Don’t worry. Swelling is normal and will resolve. You’ll see dramatic change in the first few months, but it can take up to a year for the swelling to fully dissipate.
6. Wear Compression Garments- We’ll instruct you to wear compression garments on the treated area after surgery. Wearing them is very important. They help to minimize swelling and ensure that the skin remains in contact with the underlying tissues as you heal. We typically recommend that patients wear compression garments for 3-4 weeks, removing them only for showering.
7. Come to Post-Operative Checks- Your post-operative checks allow Dr. Beale to assess your healing and to answer any questions you may have. We’ll meet with you several times after surgery and recommend that you come to all post-operative appointments, even if you feel good and have no concerns.
8. Limit Activity- Plan on limiting your activities for a few weeks after liposuction. You’ll need several days to a week off from work. Most patients resume normal activities within a week and can exercise fully at 3-4 weeks.
9. Take Pain Medications- Most patients find the pain after liposuction is not severe and that it resolves quickly. You’ll be given prescription medications to help you stay comfortable. Most patients only need these for the first few days. Staying on top of your pain management can help you to feel better and recover more quickly.
10. Ask Questions- If you have any questions or concerns, get in touch. If experience anything you’re not expecting, let us know. We want to help you have a comfortable, easy recovery after surgery.
Liposuction recovery is the final step between you and your new body. Are you excited to see your new look? Call today and schedule your consultation with Dr. Beale.